22 June 2006

Norton Simon Museum


I fell in love yesterday. First of all, I went to the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena. I have to admit that in the nearly 20 years I've lived in L.A., I had never been. Sad but true. One amazing thing was that I thought it would cost me $8 but since I have my USC student i.d., I got in for free!!!


After about a half an hour of wandering around, I was in the 14th to 16th century wing and accosted by a polite woman wearing a radio head piece who told me that my bag was oversized and that I'd have to check it with the desk and get a "museum bag" to carry my stuff in. The funny thing was that the museum bag was a book bag from the museum store and wasn't that much smaller than my
LAwritersgroup.com yellow messenger bag. Go figure.

I really dug the
South Asian wing which is downstairs in the museum. I wandered around that exhibit for almost an hour.

I did go out to the sculpture garden but, on a Wednesday afternoon in late June, is pretty freakin' hot and, unfortunately, you can hear the freeway that is right next to the museum but cleverly camouflaged by bamboo trees. I also got the feeling that I wasn't seeing all of the sculpture garden because one part of the path was coned off and while I was in the South Asian wing I had seen this lovely large Buddha statue out the window but then, once outside, couldn't figure out how to get to it.

Finally, I realized that I had completely missed the 20th Century wing so I wandered back inside. That's when I fell in love.

Kandinsky rules.

3 comments:

The Retropolitan said...

Never really been a fan of Kandinsky. But I'm pretty fond of the 20th century.

Unknown said...

don't you just love it when you take time out of your day, just for yourself, and you end up discovering a new art love?!?!?!? what an awesome day!

Anonymous said...

Your day sounded great. Have you seen the film "Six Degrees of Separation"? There is a big subplot that's all about Kandinsky!